1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Paradigm X! This is a community portal where fans can discuss Persona, MegaTen and other Atlus games.
    Join our growing community!

Persona 5 post English Release discussion

Discussion in 'Persona Discussion' started by Navarre's Stump, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Navarre's Stump

Navarre's Stump Level 3 The Hermit

So, in short, what do you guys think? Have the weighty expectations been met, was it all worth the far too long wait?
    Personally I'm delighted to see the game being so well recieved. I had imported a while back and played based on my atrocious japanese but even then could tell this was a special game, and it's been hell trying to hold back on talking about it for fear of spoiling. There's very little about this game I don't love and I'm hoping everyone else is having as much fun as I did the first time!

2. Robin Vandel

Robin Vandel Level 2

It is really good. It plays and feels just like 3 and 4 but with enough modern tweaks to make it even more enjoyable.

3. Crocodog

Crocodog Level 2 The Priestess

I did play Persona 4 without ever finishing it. I was "kinda" looking forward to Persona 5, but if you'd asked me a few months ago, I'd have told you that I'm way more anxious to play Mass Effect: Andromeda, Nier Automata or Tales of Berseria. Andromeda, at least for me, turned out to be the biggest letdown I've ever experienced with a game. I have yet to play Nier Automata and took a complete break from Berseria. The main reason being the awesomeness that is Persona 5. I have fallen in love with the game, setting, style, characters and the huge story. I finished it after 81 hours and for the first time in my life, I am legit sad about a game being over. The first day was especially bad. Had a day off and the whole day to contemplate about what I'm gonna do (games-wise) now that this masterpiece's over. I'm not sure if I'll ever play a game that's this perfect ever again so I'm just happy to have experienced it.

4. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

A bit late to the party but I got my PERSONA 5 copy last week. Currently 35 hours in, I'm having a nice time with the game. Currently not sure how I would rank the game.

5. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

Currently 10/03.

Party Stats:
    • MC, Ryuji: LV46
    • Yusuke, Makoto, Morgana, Futaba: LV45
    • Ann, Haru: LV44

Stats:
    • Knowledge: Rank 4
    • Kindness: Rank 4
    • Charm: Rank 4
    • Guts: Rank 4
    • Proficiency: Rank 5

Maxed confidants:
    • Ryuji
    • Tae
    • Kawakami
    • Mishima
    • Yoshida
    Plan to level up Hifumi's confidant but need knowledge 5 to do rank 8. Next would be levelling up charm to complete Makoto's but Futaba will take priority over her (due to pretty nice support skills).
    I'm just 3 fusions away from completing the Twin Wardens confidant, I just to level up quite a bit.

Also, if you unlocked Chihaya (fortune) ask her everyday to do a fortune reading and choose the social stat growing fortune reading, it will make things faster (costs only 5,000 yens and does not consume time)

6. Navarre's Stump

CHihaya is a godsend, I consider her and Kawakami the main reasons I was able to max all links on my first (english) playthrough without a guide. For every player I meet who has yet to reach her I make it abundantly clear how she's well worth 100,000¥, 3 wasted days and a trip to mementos to start.

Both her and Temperance synergise so well with Yoshida's money making cracks, as well as affinity readings (rank 5 or 7 I think) making the more demanding links, in terms or points required to rank up, (looking at you Soejiro) less of a pain.p

7. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

Late December.
    Progress:
    The Igor twist was pretty smart and for some good reasons:
    • His voice is considerably deeper and more commanding than the previous encounters with Igor. Granted many could assume this would be because of a new actor, but even so, the fact that the new actors (in both languages) don't even try to sound like the old one surely sets off some alarm bells. Indeed, when the real Igor does return, he sounds much more like the original voice actor.
    Extra Notes for people that didn´t know: Igor's Japanese voice actor Isamu Tanonaka passed away on January, 2010. Since them everytime Igor were to appear in any Persona material they would reuse voiced lines from previous games and left unvoiced any new lines.
    • He never actually fuses a single Persona for you (his main in-universe role in the franchise), as Justine and Caroline do it all.
    • He's extremely vague about what the protagonist's "rehabilitation" actually entails, and dodges the question every time you try to ask him to clarify.
    • He uses a different japanese pronoun than Igor usually does. False Igor uses Watakushi instead of Watashi if you're curious.
    • He says "Welcome to MY Velvet Room," not "Welcome to THE Velvet Room." While it may seem not important, the real Igor always drives it home that the Velvet Room is the Guest's subconscious, thus it's not his to claim (That said, in Japanese the real Igor actually also refers to it as "his" Velvet Room, but it's still worded differently from Yaldabaoth's line).
    With that out of the way I'm currently facing Yaldabaoth. I will finish this boss fight this weekend (Have some bussy stuff to do)
    Currently my game is clocking at 92 hours.

8. Navarre's Stump

So with regard to late December
    I effing loved the revalation, and consider it one of my favourite game twists of all time for two reasons
    1. Being played like that with the voice actors was pretty damn smart, and something which could never be achieved without those very unique circumstances at play. Another part I loved was them re-using Tanonaka's after the real Igor returned (not sure why they changed the VA for real Igor unless hiring Dan Woren would give it away), even if it did leave the interaction somewhat limited
    2. The twist itself works within the game's philosophy, in this case the mythology of Gnosticism. That the demiurge Yaldabaoth masqueraded as the one mysterious entity in the Persona universe the fandom trusted ie the constantly helpful Igor, is similar to the betrayal some Christians who achieve Gnosis feel when it turns out the God almighty they worshiped was simply controling them and keeping them locked in a game for his own amusement

9. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

After 30 days and 97 hours (actually about 100 hours, at one point I was careless during Palace #3 and lost about 3 hours of progress...), I finshed the game.

Normal difficult.
    LV98
    All 5 social stats maxed.
    14 out of 21 confidants maxed.
    All magazine/books read.
    All (non-confidants) Mementos request done.
    Compendium 85% completed.

I would rate Persona 5 a solid 7/10. Will write a review of what I thought about the game, it will be ready this weekend (or the next if I'm feeling lazy)

Last edited: May 30, 2017