1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Paradigm X! This is a community portal where fans can discuss Persona, MegaTen and other Atlus games.
    Join our growing community!

Things you don´t like from games you like

Discussion in 'Off-Topic (Gaming)' started by Lulcy, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

What things you don´t like from games you like? Be it gameplay mechaniques, level design, visual design, sound design, DLC, writing (spoiler tag for this one), etc.

2. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

I generally don´t like slow paced gameplay of FFIX. While some may argue that´s a deliverate design choice and that managing the slow time in the game is part of the strategy in the combat (which, I´m totally find that idea) it just simply puts me off more often than not.

I also don´t like the slow gameplay introduction of PERSONA 3 & 4. In P3 you spent 45 minutes (0r more) just reading text with barely any control or direction before finally getting your first fight in the game, then you spent another hour or so before being introduced to the games main dungeon and from that onwards it takes almost another hour to introduce the Social Link System and giving proper managing of the calendar and daily life system.
    P4 suffers the same problem but it´s slightly worst in this game, just add some extra 30 minutes to everything I said before and you (imo) a very terrible first 4 hours (from a gameplay perspective).

Navarre's Stump likes this.
  3. Navarre's Stump

Navarre's Stump Level 3 The Hermit

I'm generally fine with DLC on the cosmetic side but when the main story gets locked away behind it then there's a problem. A couple of ways of looking at this;
    A) The "We're sorry we messed up the story here's it done better" patch, biggest example being Mass Effect (good lord that ending maddness). Ok if these patches or dlc are free but if youre shipping a story driven game with the story unfinished then the friggin game isn't finished.
    B) Side Stories to fill plotholes or otherwise unexplained story points; pains me though it does to say it but SMTIV p-ed me off big time with this mainly the Arcangels and Days of Future Past dlc. Maybe I'm an idiot and just didn't get it in the main game but
    not explaining how all but Gabriel were imprissoned by Mastema and leaving it for 2 paid DLC packs sucked for me (say little of the fact there's no new assets beyond dialogue and moves) and OK if you've played SMT1 Masakado becoming the firmament over Tokyo to stop an nuclear ICBM maybe could have been an obvious conclussion for wiser gamers to make but for me I was completely lost before finishing that DLC
    Again could all just have been me being too stupid to get it in the game but I hope I made my point.
    C) cutting out content for DLC or half sequels. Deus Ex mankind divided may be one example if Jim Sterling's Eidos source is right, but for clarity lets go with Asura's Wrath...just... like Imagine if Persona 4 shipped and the had Yomotsu Hirasaka DLC or 3 had The Thirteenth Arcana instead of December and January being included (though version FES is debatable with The Answer). Thats what Asura's Wrath felt like. God dammit Asura's Wrath

Beyond that all Ive got are general peeves such as uncontrolable random encounter rates, though Bravely Default may have just spoiled me on that one...

4. ReverseStar

ReverseStar Level 6 The Star

Given that I usually sing praises of P2IS, I'm going to say that the demon negotiation system felt underused. And having to choose between grinding for tarot cards or experience levels/persona ranks is incredibly tedious, and can lead to waste of time if you try to do both to avoid being too unbalanced. And the way you find and spread demon rumors is too convoluted as well. The writting, as much as I love it, does fall flat and other mistakes, but going into detail with them would take too much space.

Fire Emblem 8 is a game I adore and I'm willing to forgive the ridiculously barebones excuse plot, but I do wish that some support conversations were better written. Some of them are painfully terrible, such as the Colm+Neimi one, though many of the romance ones are really bad (not all though.) I do wish we could have gotten gay romance on it, on top of more consistentialyl good writting, because some of them are really good, but when it's bad... It's bad. In the end I only had characters supporting based on relationships I liked between who I had on my party rather than their battle usefulness, really. I'd ask for better plot writting all together since I do sincerly love the game, but I can overlook it.

Those are the games I have in mind the most at the moment, but if I started talking about every game I have complaints about, I'd never end. So instead I'm going to mention a perfect game with no flaws whatsoever, and it's We Know The Devil. No complaints about that one, sincerly.

5. Computer

Computer Level 4

it may be petty and really small, but I really hate not being able to save anywhere I want.
    Slow intros can be a pain but I'm also seeing where fast ones can leave me not caring as deeply (playing FFVII for the first time and I feel like I havent been able to settle with/understand anyone's character all too well. just thrust into it)

ReverseStar likes this.
  6. ReverseStar

I think that limited save spots can be a good tool to use in game design, but for the most part I don't see anything wrong with saving anytime if there isn't a specific purpose to limit it. Horror games are the ideal for this, though some games such as Ao Oni let you save anytime from the pause menu (unless you're currently being chased by the monster) and it still works perfectly fine. Admittedly there's the risk of saving in an unwinnable situation, so it's a bit of a double edged sword.

As for long intros, it really depends on the quality, I think. I don't think I want to stand the entire intro of Persona 4 again because I hate the overall writting, but I agree that too short ones are liketly to not engage many people (I get invested in things fairly easy so this isn't much of a problem for me.)

Since I mentioned Ao Oni, one of my favourite games of all time, I'm going to say that I hate how obtuse the puzzles can get. Even though I can play the latest version practically with my eyes closed after all these years, I still need to look up a guide for the piano puzzle because of how obtuse it is. Watching some playtroughs of old Resident Evils and Silent Hills gave me a similar feeling; I don't think puzzles should be easy (that's why they're puzzles), but there's a limit to everything.

7. Navarre's Stump

Navarre's Stump Level 3 The Hermit

On save spots I think its down to the nature of the game really, for progression in the classic sense ie, get through this area, limitations are expected (think bonfires in Dark Souls for instance), whereas in encounter based rpgs I think it should be save anywhere (else games like SMT4 would be unplayable on higher difficulties)
    One other thing I've noticed that is taken for granted is auto-saves. I barely notice their existence but only in their absence do I realize how much they cut out pointless retreading. Happened in P5 where I lost about a game week of progress to a crash (it was in a relatively quiet stretch so I wasn't paying much mind to saving), and a friend told me just yesterday revisiting a ps1 title that she went half a game before dying completely forgetting that "saving was a thing" and needed to start the whole thing over.

8. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

Long intros (plot wise) could be bearable if you can give the player right of the bat most of your game, well, gameplay.

And speaking of Persona 4 intro:
    The fact that it takes over 20 minutes to reach your first fight (Izanami, at the time only being shown as a foggy figure) in the whole game and almost 2 hours (to be precise, the second fight in the whole game happens at the 1 hour 50 minutes mark!, just look it up on Youtube) for your second fight in the game should be unacceptable, I almost dropped the game for that. If it wasn´t for the writing I would have dropped the game long before that.

I loath that intro!!

9. ReverseStar

I think back in the day it didn't bother me as it was the second RPG I ever played besides P3, but now I'd skip over the dialogue as much as possible. A good solution would be to at least give the player more control of the MC if only to go from point A to B rather than passively having them press X most of the intro with no much more involvement whatsoever. It's not something that would kill a game for me, but I know that for others it does.

10. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

A "skip cutscene" feature (like pressing start button or something) would be welcome.

11. ReverseStar

Any visual novel with a minimal programming quality has so, I don't see why it's not a thing here. If an awful 2005 BL game made with the budget of two strings and half a paper tube made by Gen Urobuchi can have it new Atlus games surely can have it.