1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Paradigm X! This is a community portal where fans can discuss Persona, MegaTen and other Atlus games.
    Join our growing community!

Your favourite games, or games played recently.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic (Gaming)' started by Reverse, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Alex

Alex Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, NieR was great. Haven't played any of Taro's previous games, but I really loved Automata, and I'll probably look into playing at least the first NieR at some point now.

2. Cheri Zolo

Cheri Zolo Level 2 The Devil

I'm enjoying Nioh and hoping to receive SMT Strange Journey soon.
    Favorite games:
    Persona 2
    SMT 4
    Bloodborne
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Rune Factory 4

3. Navarre's Stump

Navarre's Stump Level 3 The Hermit

Only on my "2nd" playthrough of Nier hoping to reach the end before April 4th comes, but so far, in a year without P5 and Nioh, it may well have been my game of the year. Bloody wonderful writing, characters and music and I feel this will stick with me for a while. Also pretty refreshing to hear a developer being as frank as he has been RE character design as well as the game itself, definitely going to check out Nier and Drakengard.

Other games; Torment: Tides of Numenera is on the back-burn but what I have played through has simply genius writing. Gravity Rush/Daze 2 has fallen by the wayside due to the year's releases but is as fun and charming as 1. Nioh is (for lack of a better term) 'Souls-like' but so very much more fun

4. ReverseStar

ReverseStar Level 6 The Star

Months lafter my last reply, I'm near the end of Baten Kaitos and my Gamecube bit the dust. I'm unsure if I can get it fixed (hopefully yes) but being at almost thefinal dungeon I can say that Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is one of the best games ever made. It's an underrated gem with truly amazing writting, gorgeous art, really unique and fun battle system and gameplay and great characters. Of course, it's not without it's flaws, but I find it sad that the only person I ever heard mention it its my girlfriend, because I feel like it really is an excellent, 10/10 game.

As for Fire Emblem, I finally finished Sacred Stones after two failed attempts (one because I didn't know what I was doing, as it was my first FE, and other from a nasty game breaking glitch) and it may not be anywhere near perfect, but it's one of my favourite games now. Great characters and fun gameplay, though I do feel it could use a more focused remake that worked on the potential the story has to be from Good to breaking the mold and all that stuff. However, with how awful Fates was, I'm not sure if I actually want a remake unless I or a friend I trust would write it. And it needs more gay.

Currently I'm making my way trough other FE titles, those being Blazing Sword, Binding Blade and Genealogy of the Holy War, and they're all good so far. I'm swamped with examns so the last one is on hold as it's time consuming, but hopefully I can get back to it soon. To finish off the post without getting too long, Detention by Red Candle Games is an excellent horror game that won't get nearly enough of the attention it deserves.

5. JohnnyKarate

JohnnyKarate Level 2 The Magician

Strange Journey was so good! It can get really tough at parts which is what I really love about Shin Megami Tensei. I just finished Tales of Berseria myself.

6. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

After having the put the game in the back for so long, I finally finshed Metal Gear Solid, it´s strange that I´ve played all the other Solid games but never did it with the first (technically third) game in the series.

A small review about the game:
    Looking at when this game was released (1998) you can clearly see how this game reinforced the concept of cinematic storytelling in videogames with the usage of cutscenes and voice acting and also allow to kickstart stelth games as successfull mainstream games.
    This also brough the terrible over reliance of cutscenes as a storytelling tool...there´s a lot of it in the game, practically the whole game has a (almost) 6:4 ratio of cutscene and gameplay.

I will say that out of all the games in the seires, this one has aged the worst of them, mostly from a gameplay and level design point of view, the game feels like 2D game design philosophy applied in a 3D game with very mixed and at times awful results. Another flaw the game has is that it´s gameplay is not well suited for combat, you might be asking "why would the combat have to be good in a stealth game?", that´s true a stealth game is not action one but here is the problem; the game forces you into combat situations! The game forces you bumping into enemies that will shoot you to death as well as Snake being an incompetent at aiming with his guns. This is problem is not isolated to this game though, the others faced the same problem with Metal Gear Solid 2 being the only one actually pulled off this dick move with great and meaningful effect.

Final thing to say is that Psycho-Mantis is one the most ingenious and mindblowing designed boss fight in a videogame (though I´d say Kojima topped him with The End in Metal Gear Solid 3)

7. Ambimunch

Ambimunch Level 2 Justice

At this rate, there could be no other games coming out in 2017 and I would still have enough to play!
    Currently sitting on my shelves:
    -Gravity Rush 2 (brand new)
    -Nier Automata (beat but wanna platinum)
    -Nioh (played for an hour)
    -FF XV (wanna platinum + DLCs)
    -Soon P5
    -FF XII HD in July
    -And lets not forget plenty of other games like Pokemon Moon, Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid V and The Evil Within that I need to finish. YOSH

8. Town Moron

Town Moron Level 3 The Hermit

You might have seen this already but if not, this video is a really interesting look at the voice recording and some behind-the-scenes stuff about the localization of Metal Gear Solid. (There are spoilers.)

Lulcy likes this.
  9. Iron-Claw

Iron-Claw Level 3 The Fool

The new Mass Effect, the game is pretty bad.

10. Pazzal

Pazzal Level 2 The Chariot

I'd say Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair and The Last Of Us. I love them both equally. I could go on and on about how amazing they are, but I'm not good at that stuff.

11. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

Last month I finished The Last of Us for the fist time, it was a pretty neat game.

Lite Review:
    +
    It was a well balanced survival game.
    + Good sound design.
    + Good use of linear progession and linear levels.
    + Good use of violence.
    + Good combat and shooting mechaniques for this type of survival experiences.
    + Winter Season is the best level in the game by far.
    + Has some good stealth segments.
    + Silent moments.
    + Joel & Ellie relationship is pretty good.
    + /- Joel & Ellie didn't have as much interaction as I would have liked.
    - "Terrible shit happens" trope gets overused.
    -The first hour is a drag to play.
    - The game takes a bit too long in introducing certain mechaniques during the first quarter of the game.
    - They could have being a bit more creative with the Zombie apocalypse tropes.
    - Too much swearing, that's ridiculous.
    - How to approach certain scenarios start to become tedious and repetitive halfway through the game.

8/10