1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Paradigm X! This is a community portal where fans can discuss Persona, MegaTen and other Atlus games.
    Join our growing community!

Your thoughts about 2016 in gaming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic (Gaming)' started by Lulcy, Dec 31, 2016.

?

Was 2016 a good year for gaming?Edit This poll will close on Jan 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM.

Poll closed Jan 14, 2017.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Middle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

At the time of this post there's only some hours left before 2016 wraps up and 2017 begins.
    During the course of 2016 there has been strong announcements for the future of gaming (in both software and hardware) as well as the release of multiple games that left strong impressions among critics and fans.
    With that said, How did your 2017 in gaming play out? Could you play all games you wanted? Did any of the games you were looking fordward to deliver? Tell us below!

2. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 6 The Fool

Double posting for visibility purpose.

Unfortunately I couldn´t play any of the games released this year cause I lacked both the platform in which they were released and because I´m short in money. However, it´s good that most of the anticipated games released this year were highly well received by the critic.

The highlisths from 2016 for me where the announcement of the new consoles updates for both PS4 & XB1, the announcement of Nintendo Switch, the release of VR hardware (and its early games/demos) and last but none the least, Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian finally seeing the light of days and both being highly well received by the critics and fans.

For me 2016 was a really good year in gaming

3. ReverseStar

ReverseStar Level 6 The Star

Much like you, I too couldn't play most if not all of this game's years for the same reason (I even am still saving up for a gamecube of all things). However I do think some interesting things have come out, though right now I don't remember enough to make much of a statement.

On a probably weird note, even thought I couldn't care less for Final Fantasy XV, I did watch the chapter that was much more like a survival horror game than an rpg, and even if it's not ~true horror~ it revitalized my thoughts about experimenting with the horror genre so that it's not restrained to what we know it to be today, but I digress.

Here's hoping that I actually get to make a game myself in 2017 and that lots of good or otherwise interesting games come out!

4. Navarre's Stump

Navarre's Stump Level 3 The Hermit

2016 will probably be the best year of gaming in recent memory personally, and a year that's revitalized my interest in the medium after being largely disinterested in new releases for the last few years.

Firstly, this was the year I played a triple(ish) bill of Atlus titles, with Tokyo Mirage Sessions being surprisingly fun if a bit lacking beneath the surface, SMTIV A a good game which felt like a great sequel to a game I have a lot of affection for, and Persona 5...well all I feel I can say is that it met all of my lofty expectations.

Beyond that triple A titles were surprisingly enjoyable, Overwatch was the first game to really get me to play online, Doom reminded me of the good old days of dumb shooters done well and even FFXV, a title I would never have bought had I not got it cheap, a game which has abandoned perfectly functional turn based systems (Not super fond of 6&7 but the systems work imo) for whatever the current combat is, an rpg so fundimentally lacking in exposition that Im spending half the story going "Sure. I dont know why this is happening but Okay", FFXV is actually starting to win me over based on characters and worldly charms alone. Thats the kind of year it was: titles which normally make me angry and bored made me frickin giddly to play this year.

Town Moron likes this.
  5. Town Moron

Town Moron Level 3 The Hermit

I didn't play much new but I started the Year with Fire Emblem: Fates and it was... alright. Spent the middle part of the year finising up Trails of Cold Steel and it was incredible- A combination of some of my favorite RPG mechanics and story beats. SMT4A was great. I've been back and forth about the story (and some of the characters) but considering every other aspect of the game felt like an improvement over 4, I feel like it's the better game. I finished the year with Trails of Cold Steel 2 and while the pacing of the second half kinda hurt the presentation a bit, it was more content of a great game and continued to build the world/characters for the future. I am absolutely looking forward to the 3rd installment now. (Also, Erica Lindbeck's performance was fantastic and has me very much looking forward to hearing her in Persona 5. )