The annual PlayStation Awards 2016 live ceremony took place earlier by Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia, and Persona 5 was acknowledged at the show.
The PlayStation Awards has been held on a yearly basis since 1990, acknowledging the best selling Sony platform games in Japan and Asia.
Persona 5 received two awards at the ceremony: the “Users’ Choice Award” and the “Gold Prize” award.
Users’ Choice Award
The Users’ Choice Award consists of the top 10 titles voted by consumers, released between October 1, 2015 and September 30, 2016.
Persona 4 Golden received this award in 2012 and in 2013, as well.
Director Katsura Hashino went on stage to accept the trophy.
The Gold Prize is awarded to games whose shipment numbers (including digital sales) surpass 500,000 copies this year.
In September, Atlus celebrated over 550k in shipped copies for Persona 5.
Producer and director Katsura Hashino and character designer Shigenori Soejima went on stage to receive the trophy, and Hashino gave an appreciation speech.
Atlus also released Shigenori Soejima art to celebrate the award.
Via Gematsu, the following was the full list of awards given at the show, along with their descriptions:
- Gold Prize: Software titles (DL) with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of over 500,000 copies.
- PlayStation Network Award: Top three network sales titles will be awarded (Between October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016).
- Users’ Choice Award: Top 10 titles voted by Japan and Asia users. (Released between October 1, 2015 and September 30, 2016.)
- PlayStation VR Special Prize: Three titles which have contributed to PlayStation VR will be awarded.
- Indies Special Prize: Five titles which have contributed to PlayStation will be awarded.
Persona 5 was released for the PS3 and PS4 in Japan on September 15, 2016. It will release in North America and Europe on April 4, 2017, and in traditional Chinese and Korean in 2017.