Atlus has released their annual Japanese online consumer survey for 2022, in order to learn more about their customers and improve their game development. This year will mark the eighth annual Japanese survey.
Unlike last year, there isn’t an English version of the survey available targeted at North Americans.
Every year, the survey contributes meaningfully to development at Atlus, with the company stating that the results “assist us in delivering unique and compelling gaming experiences, as we continue to pursue development that values passion and ambition.”
The survey duration is estimated to take approximately 50 minutes. The survey timeframe is from July 14th to July 17th.
The questions from the survey can be seen below. For questions that I feel are especially interesting and should be highlighted, see Questions 29, 34, 52 and 55.
- Atlus Consumer Survey 2015
- Atlus Consumer Survey 2016
- Atlus Consumer Survey 2017
- Atlus Consumer Survey 2018
- Atlus Consumer Survey 2019
- Atlus Consumer Survey 2020
- Atlus Consumer Survey 2021
- Atlus Consumer Survey 2022
Q1: Please enter your email address.
Q2: Please tell us your gender.
Q3: Please tell us your age.
Q4: Do you live in Japan?
Q5: Please tell us in which region you live in. [If “No” is selected to Q4]
Options for each major continent.
Q6: How did you first find out about this survey? Select the answer that best applies.
7 options, including the official website for Atlus series games, the Atlus YouTube video, Twitter, etc.
Q7: Please tell us about your profession.
Q8: Please select the family and friends you live with. Select the answer that best applies.
9 options for different household arrangements.
Q9: Please select all of the following game devices that you own.
Q10: Among the platforms you own, how often do you play them?
Q11: From the devices you play video games on, how long do you play on those devices during workdays?
6 options per device, ranging from not used during weekdays to 10 hours or more.
Q12: From the devices you play video games on, how long do you play on those devices during weekends and holidays.
6 options per device, ranging from not used during weekdays to 10 hours or more.
Q13: Please select all of the subscription-based services you’re subscribed to (even if they are shared by the family, if it is a service that you can use freely then please consider yourself to be subscribed to).
18 different options for popular subscription services, including Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, PlayStation Plus, Nintendo Switch Online, Xbox Game Pass, EA Play, etc.
Q14: Do you play games on the following PC services? If yes, please indicate when you last used it. [NEW QUESTION]
The services are:
- Xbox Game Pass (PC)
- Xbox Game Pass (Ultimate)
- EA Play
- Epic Games
Each with 7 different options between “I use it every day” and “I’ve never used it.”
Q15: Did you know that the following Atlus titles are available on Xbox Game Pass or PC Game Pass? [NEW QUESTION]
The games are:
- Persona 5 Royal Remastered Edition
- Persona 4 Golden Remastered Edition
- Persona 3 Portable Remastered Edition
- Soul Hackers 2
Each with 4 different options ranging from “I have played it on Game Pass” to “I didn’t know.”
Q16: Please select everything that you desire from a video game on each platform.
20 possible answers, including:
- To relieve stress
- To experience exhilaration
- To feel immersed in the game world
- To get a sense of accomplishment
- To immerse myself in the game story
- To express myself
- To forget everyday life
Between 3 different platforms: home console, mobile, and PC.
Q17: What are your favorite game genres for console games and PC games?
17 different options chosen between home consoles and PC:
- Turn-based RPG
- Action RPG
- Turn-based strategy RPG
- 3D Dungeon RPG
- Roguelike RPG
- Puzzle game
- Action Adventure
- Text Adventure
- Fighting Game
- Music Game
- Card Game
- Board Game
- Racing Game
- Real-Time Strategy Game
- FPS/TPS Games
Q18: What are your favorite game genres you like to play on your smartphone (apps for iPhone, iPad and Android phones)? [NEW QUESTION]
The same options as in Q17.
Q19: Please select the titles you know of among the following smartphone games (game apps that can be played on an iPhone, iPad, or Android phone). [NEW QUESTION]
31 different options for popular smartphone game apps, including:
- One PIece Treasure Cruise
- Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2
- eFootball 2023
- Fate/Grand Order
- Pokémon GO
Q20: Have you ever played the following smartphone games (game apps that can be played on an iPhone, iPad, or Android phone)? QUESTION]
Among the games selected in Q19, there are 3 different options between:
- I’m currently playing it.
- I have played it before, but not now.
- I’ve never played it.
Q21: Among the following games for home consoles (stationary and portables), which ones do you know of?
A list of 68 games, including Atlus games (e.g. Metaphor: Refantazio) and such games as:
- Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
- Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
- Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater
- Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Q22: Among the following home console games (stationary and portables), which have you purchased?
Among the games selected in Q21 that have been released, there are 3 possible choices:
- I bought this within the last year(regardless of new or used).
- I bought this over a year ago (regardless of new or used).
- I am considering purchasing.
- I have not purchased this, and I am not planning to.
Q23: Regardless of whether you have played them or not, who would you recommend the following titles to?
For each game selected in Q21, there are 6 options:
- Family / housemates / significant other / partner
- Friends / acquaintances at school / work
- Friends / acquaintances in the gaming community
- Friends / acquaintances outside of the gaming community
- Random viewers online, such as on social media
- I wouldn’t recommend this
Q24: Among the following unreleased home console games (stationary and portables), which are you planning to purchase?
Among the unreleased games selected in Q21, there are 3 possible choices:
- I bought this (regardless of new or used).
- I am considering purchasing.
- I have not purchased this, and I am not considering to in the future.
For the following questions, media for games that can be played on home consoles (stationary and portables) are shown, and users are asked questions about them.
Each of these questions have the following possible answers:
- I like the use of color in the screenshots.
- It feels like something Atlus would create.
- The designs in the screenshots are cool.
- If it’s available through a subscription service, I’d like to try playing it.
- It looks like something I could play for a long time (plenty of content to explore).
- If I have friends who are playing it, I’d like to try playing it too.
- If I have free time, I’d like to try playing it.
- I’m curious about what kind of game it is.
- I’m curious about what kind of story it has.
- The characters are charming.
- None of them apply.
Q26: If you already know about “Persona 5 Tactica,” please select everything you feel about it. If you’re not familiar with it, please select all of your impressions from the following screenshots.
Q27: If you already know about “Metaphor: ReFantazio,” please select everything you feel about it. If you’re not familiar with it, please select all of your impressions from the following screenshots.
Q28: If you already know about “Persona 3 Reload,” please select everything you feel about it. If you’re not familiar with it, please select all of your impressions from the following screenshots.
Q29: These are screenshots of the recently announced smartphone game “Persona 5: The Phantom X,” developed by Perfect World, a Chinese company. Would you play this game if it were released in Japan?
There are 5 different options to select:
- I would definitely play it.
- I would probably play it.
- I’ll decide whether to play or not after more information is announced.
- I would not play it.
- I’m not interested because it’s a game for smartphones.
Q30: When do you tend to pre-order games?
- As soon as pre-orders start.
- As soon as information about store-exclusive bonuses is released.
- Less than a month before the release.
- Less than a week before the release.
- When recommended or invited by friends.
- After seeing early reviews from media.
- After looking up information on social media.
- I have never made a pre-order.
Q32: How many games do you own on Steam? [NEW QUESTION]
- Between 1 – 5
- Between 6 – 10
- Between 11 – 30
- Between 31 – 50
- Between 51 – 99
- 100 or more
Q33: Please select everything that can lead to you downloading a game on Steam.
13 different options included learning about a title that is not available on consoles / smartphones, wanting to play games that are popular at the moment, discovering the game in the Steam store, or when it’s cheap on sale.
Q34: Please select all that apply as to why you purchase games on Steam that are available on multiple platforms. [NEW QUESTION]
16 different possible answers, including:
- Because I can play with mods.
- Because PC (or Steam Deck) is in a place where it’s easy to play games.
- I want to collect games on Steam.
- I can play with a keyboard and mouse.
- Because the speed of bug fixes and such is fast.
Q35: When do you add game titles to your wish list on the Steam store? [NEW QUESTION]
- When I’m sure of my purchase.
- When I’m almost ready to buy it.
- When I’m undecided about making the purchase.
- When it piques my interest a little.
- When I want to take a wait-and-see approach.
- I hardly use the wishlist feature.
Q36: Have you ever purchased a game from your Steam wishlist? If yes, how often do you purchase titles from your wishlist? [NEW QUESTION]
6 different answers ranging from “Almost All (81 – 100%) to “I have never purchased a title on my wishlist (0%).”
Q37: Please select all that apply in terms of when you purchase a game on your Steam wishlist. [NEW QUESTION]
- Purchase during the pre-release period (pre-order phase).
- When there’s a sale.
- On the game’s launch.
- When I receive a notification through an app or email.
- When I buy a game alongside a friend.
- After the release, when I see the reviews and reception.
- When Japanese language support is added.
- When the official service starts or when there is an update.
- When I have completed other games.
Q38: Have you ever looked at the ratings on the Steam store when you were unsure about purchasing a game on Steam? If yes, at what rating do you feel more inclined to buy? Please choose the one that applies most to you.
8 options ranging from “Overwhelmingly Positive” to “I never look at the ratings.”
Q39: When you are unsure about purchasing a title on Steam, do you read the reviews? [NEW QUESTION]
- I often read the reviews and use them as a reference to make a purchase or not.
- I read the reviews, but never use them as a reference for making a purchase or not.
- I don’t read the reviews.
Q40: When purchasing a game available on multiple platforms, do you ever refer to game reviews published in the following media? If yes, please select among the following. [NEW QUESTION]
- Game media (such as “Weekly Famitsu”).
- Metacritic score.
- Review videos from YouTubers and others.
- Amazon Japan
- I don’t refer to or watch reviews.
Q41: Do you ever write reviews for games you’ve played on Steam? [NEW QUESTION]
- I almost always write a review.
- I write a review more often when I think it’s good.
- I write a review more often when I think it’s bad.
- I have written reviews before, but I don’t usually write them.
- I have never written a review.
Q42: What media do you usually obtain game information from? Please choose all that apply.
23 possible answers, including:
- Official game manufacturer websites
- Game information event (E3, Tokyo Game Show, etc.)
Q43: Please select all of the online game events listed below that you’ve watched in the past year. [NEW QUESTION]
- Summer Game Fest
- State of Play
- Xbox Games Showcase
- Milan Games Week
- Tokyo Game Show
- EVO Japan
- The Game Awards
- Nintendo Direct
- None of the events above
Q44: Among live streams and live video, pleases select “let’s players” and “Virtual YouTubers” you’ve watched (from Nico Nico to YouTube, etc.).
52 options including a variety of Japanese let’s players and Virtual YouTubers.
Q45: How much free time do you usually have per day?
2 answers, with 10 options ranging from 1 hour to 18 hours or more.
Q46: Of the free time you have on a work or school day, and on a day off or holiday, how much can you spend it to play video games?
Q47: How much money on average are you free to use per month?
8 answers, ranging from less than $50 to $1,000 or more.
Q48: Among the money you are free to use, how much do you spend on main games/DLC (downloadable content) per month? [NEW QUESTION]
9 answers, with ranges including less than 30,000 yen to the range of 50,000 yen to 100,000 yen
Q50: Have you ever played the “Persona” series? If you have, choose the first game in the series you played.
28 options, listing every single Persona console game released from Revelations: Persona for the PlayStation and Windows in September 1996 to Persona 3 Portable Remastered Edition for modern platforms released in January 2023 (with the 29th option being “never played the Persona series”).
Q51: Have you ever played the “Etrian Odyssey” series? If you have, choose the first game in the series you played.
Returning question from the 2020 survey.
12 options, listing every Etrian Odyssey game released from Etrian Odyssey for the Nintendo DS in January 2007 to Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection for the Nintendo Switch and Steam in June 2023 (with the 12th option being “never played the Etrian Odyssey series”).
Q52: We would like to ask about an Atlus game you purchased. Please select all that apply.
For Soul Hackers 2, there are 9 rows/options with 4 columns based on how strongly or lacking someone felt about the answers. They are:
- The characters were charming / I didn’t like the characters
- The story was interesting / The story wasn’t interesting (or didn’t leave an impression)
- I enjoyed the gameplay systems / I did not enjoy the gameplay systems
- It was responsive and felt good to play / The game was not responsive and couldn’t be played comfortably
- The music was good (or left an impression) / The music wasn’t good (or didn’t leave an impression)
- The playtime was good / The playtime was inadequate
- The price was appropriate for how satisfying the game was / The price wasn’t right for the game’s satisfaction
- I was able to play comfortably without stress due to loading times, etc. / Elements like the loading time were stressful and I couldn’t play it comfortably
- I agree with the price / I am dissatisfied with the pricing (I felt it was expensive)
Q53: For games in different price ranges, how long do you expect them to be based on the price? [NEW QUESTION]
There are 5 choices for price ranging from 1 to 1,999 yen and 8,000 yen or more. Each corresponding to 7 possible choices for time, from 5 hours or less to 50 hours or more.
Q54: Please select all the things you expect from Atlus titles and that make it feel like an Atlus title.
- Characters that are easy to empathize with and have an appealing personality
- A world/setting with the feeling of an underground subculture.
- Music worth listening to.
- A world/setting with a strong occult feeling.
- A fictional world setting that is easy to empathize with.
- A world setting in modern Japan.
- Good design of non-human characters such as Atlus’ own demons.
- Interesting / deep story.
- Good design of things other than characters, such as user interface.
- User interface that emphasizes comfort and tempo.
- A world setting that feels anarchistic / going against common tropes
- The feel of the difficulty level and game balance.
- Good character design.
- Gameplay experience / themes that you think about even when not playing the game.
- There is no particular application.
- I don’t know of Atlus / I’m not sure
Q55: From the list below, please select all that apply among elements that you feel are lacking in current Atlus games, or that you would like to see improved on. [NEW QUESTION]
The same possible answers as in Q54.
Q56: If a sequel (numbered entry) in the following game series was to be released, what platform would you want to play it on?
11 possible choices:
- I want to play this on PS4 / PS4 Pro.
- I want to play this on PS VR.
- I want to play this on PS5.
- I want to play this on Nintendo Switch (Lite).
- I want to play this on a smartphone (free-to-play)
- I want to play this on a smartphone (pay-as-you-go)
- I want to play this on Xbox.
- I want to play this on Steam.
- I do not want to play this / I’m not interested.
For the following:
- Persona series
- Etrian Odyssey series
- Shin Megami Tensei series
Q57: If a remake (the existing title with new elements added and improved visuals and controls) of a past game were to be released, what would you place importance on?
There are 16 options:
- Affordable price.
- Playable on PC.
- Playable on the latest home consoles.
- Improved graphics.
- Improved controls/usability.
- New music tracks.
- Enhanced QoL features such as reduced loading times.
- Improved user interface (UI).
- Combat improvements.
- Game balance adjustments.
- Addition of new elements to the battle system.
- Addition of a new storyline (events that were not told in the original version, events that occurred simultaneously).
- Addition of a new storyline (sequel to the original version).
- Addition of a new storyline (prequel to the original version).
- Addition of new characters.
Q58: How many times have you participated in the Atlus survey?
- This is the first time.
- This is the second time.
- This is the third time.
- This is the fourth time or more.
The final question features a notable Atlus character that changes based on how you answer Q58. Two of them below:
Q60: Now it’s finally the last one. The Phantom Thieves of Hearts’ own Morgana has arrived! Thank you for always assisting us with our investigations.
Please feel free to write you requests to Atlus in 300 characters or less!
Q62: You’re late, Forneus! I got tired of waiting, and in the meantime, I’ve participated in the Atlus survey more times than I can count.
So let’s end with our customary “Request to Atlas,” 300 words or less.
Notably, questions for genres in potential Atlus series spin-offs and individual remakes have been removed from this survey for the first time.