During a special, 1-hour The Caligula Effect Japanese live stream earlier today, a remake of the former PlayStation Vita exclusive RPG and an anime adaptation of the game were announced.
The first game was notable for being written by the Revelations: Persona and Persona 2 duology writer Satomi Tadashi, as well as some of its similarities to the Persona games. He retains his role for the upcoming Caligula project.
The Caligula Effect: Overdose
The remake of The Caligula Effect, subtitled “Overdose,” will be released on the PS4 in Japan on May 17, 2018 for 7,980 yen. It will use Unreal Engine 4 this time, and notable additions include:
- Upgraded performance and visuals.
- A new “Forbidden Musician Scenario,” doubling story length in a new route where the protagonist betrays their allies.
- New main characters and antagonists.
- A female protagonist.
The official website for the game can be found here.
Gematsu has translated the game’s overview:
The Caligula Effect Reborn on PlayStation 4 and Unreal Engine 4
The UI has been completely remade, usability has improved, and the game can be enjoyed more comfortably.
Scenario Volume Doubled: Forbidden Musician Route Added and Multiple Endings
Break into the secrets of the musicians with the Forbidden Musician Route. What is the price of betrayal…?
A Female Protagonist Added
The development of the story and the reaction of the people around you will change depending on your gender. The female protagonist is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro.
Two New Go-Home Club Members Added
Ayana Amamoto (voiced by Maria Naganawa) and Eijin Biwasaka (voiced by Kenji Akabane).
Two New Musicians Added
Kusanashi (character of and composed by Pinokopii, voiced by ???) and Stork (character of and composed by DECO*28, voiced by ???).
Pre-orders will include the following four bonuses:
- The Caligula Effect: Overdose Special Album CD – A special album with 10 newly added songs in addition to the theme song.
- Special Booklet – A booklet featuring interviews with the composers, a short story, and more.
- “Plain Clothes” Costume DLC – A download code to obtain the plain clothes for all Go-Home Club members. (There are no plans to sell this as paid downloadable content.)
- Special Event Participation Application Ticket – An application ticket to participate in a special event that will be held after the game releases. Reina Ueda, Chiharu Sawashiro, Shunsuke Takeuchi, Mirei Tanaka, Emi Nitta, Soma Saito, Yuka Otsubo, and more are planned to appear.
An anime adaptation of the game was announced to begin broadcasting in Japan on April 2018, featuring the voice actors from the game. A new Twitter account was established for it, which will reveal new information in the future.
The official website can be found here.