Following magazine previews, initial details from Famitsu’s coverage of Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation have leaked, including that the game will allow for the player’s gender to be chosen, and that it will feature the press turn system.
- The game is being developed by Sega, however Atlus is supervising setting and demon related aspects.
- The main character’s gender can be selected.
- The player will be a member of a secret organization called the Liberators. They are protecting the world, and will get caught up in the conflict between “Devil Downloaders” (D x 2).
- The Liberator’s hideout is a warehouse in Akihabara. They have equipment for demon fusion and strengthening, item shops, etc.
- The “Aura Gate” will allow the player to explore 3D dungeons, and to challenge themselves to get as far as possible.
- Series traditional demon negotiation and skill inheritance will be featured. There is a training element original to this game.
- The battle system is the franchise regular press turn system. If you strike an enemy’s weak point, you gain actions, and if you hit a weakness, you lose actions.
- Demons will have 3D models.
- The player will lead four demons to fight in their party. The hero does not participate in combat.
- Conversation scenes will be fully voiced, and character portraits will be animated.
- There is meaning behind the reveal having been made through large screens in Akihabara.
- The developers desire to make the title a high-end release.
Details from the interview with Sega’s Masayoshi Kikuchi (director) and Atlus’ Naoto Hiraoka (general manager) have also been released. @MysticDistance has provided a translation:
- The project was realized when Sega was informed that Atlus should make a new title.
- Hiraoka states that although they did not provide “model data,” he was working on a “high-level demon’s model” which became a topic of conversation within the company.
- Sega is at the helm of development for this title, with Atlus acting as a supervisor when it comes to the general setting and matters relating to demons.
- At first, Atlus themselves wanted to make a smartphone title based on the series, but they lacked the know-how to go forward with that.
- A big part of the game was to offer high-end content that would make people happy to play.
- The producer is Riichiro Yamada, who states that he is a “huge fan of the Megami Tensei series.”
- They wanted to make a game that would appeal to those who are not familiar with the series, as well as those who are fans.
- Alongside a demo at TGS 2017, there will be special VR content involving the demons.
The September 28, 2017 issue of Famitsu—or issue #1502—will be released in Japan on September 14, 2017.
Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei Liberation will release for iOS and Android smartphone devices in Japan in 2017.