The new game—currently named Project Re Fantasy—in development by Atlus’ newly formed studio, “Studio Zero,” currently has no announced platform, release date, or price. The game will be set in a fantasy world, instead of the urban settings of the Persona or Shin Megami Tensei series.
Notable P Studio members Katsura Hashino (producer and director), Shigenori Soejima (artist) and Shoji Meguro (composer) are involved with the development of Project Re Fantasy at Studio Zero.
- After the Project Re Fantasy live stream on December 23 starting at 8:00 PM JST and ending at 10:00 PM JST, Atlus will begin large scale recruiting on the new RPG project.
- There are images of the game in the upcoming Famitsu magazine:
- “There’s a group of soldiers confronting a dragon to illustrate ” ‘building new ideas based on things from the past”; four people and a dog riding in a carriage to illustrate “bonds”; and a red-haired elf girl with a blonde boy on a horse to illustrate a “journey.’ “
- Shigenori Soejima is now part of a newly formed “Atlus Artwork Team.” He will be creating artwork representing this team during the December 23rd live stream for Project Re Fantasy.
- “Studio Zero’s logo is a boy on a journey holding a tarot card with a “0” on it, which means “fool.”
- “According to Hashino, ‘While the supported hardware is currently undecided, we’re making this for those who like home console games and love Atlus games. I think it will require a reasonable amount of time to complete, but we’re all working to deliver something exciting, so I want you to look forward to it.’ “
The Famitsu interview with Atlus company director Naoto Hiroaka and Studio Zero creative producer and director Katsura Hashino:
Regarding the goal of establishing a new studio
Hiraoka: “Originally, as a mid-term plan of Atlus, we had wanted to establish a studio with the goal of creating a new IP and aim even higher. In these several years, the people whom we could entrust with it always seemed to be busy, but we wondered if we can trust it to Hashino, who finished up Persona 5.”
Regarding Soejima and Meguro’s involvement on the project
Hiraoka: “Soejima is an indispensable member of the Persona series staff, but we don’t want his work to stop there. Meguro is the same. Both will continue to participate in the Persona series in the future.
“We’re steadily developing other titles behind the scenes, including the Persona series. We plan to announce future titles in the new year, without keeping you waiting too long.”
Why did Studio Zero decide to take on the fantasy genre?
Hashino: “Until now, since the time fantasy went mainstream, Atlus has dared to create series set in contemporary times and cherished its stance of aiming to counter the typical. The series works from Persona 3 an onwards are the exact products of such thought. I had always held the thought that I someday want to challenge the traditional genre and deliver a title uniquely Atlus.”
Can you give us a hint about the visual you unveiled?
“The visual we released at this time is concept art to share our frame of mind. The character in the illustration made for the cover isn’t necessarily the protagonist either.”
There will be a Niconico live stream on Project Re Fantasy on December 23 at 8:00 PM JST (3:00 AM PST / 6:00 AM EST).
Before the show starts, Atlus artist Shigenori Soejima will be creating a live illustration just for this program.
- Hiroshi Watanabe (writer)
- Chiaki Matsuzawa (announcer)
Part 1 Provisional Guests:
- Katsuhiko Hayashi (Weekly Famitsu editor-in-chief)
Part 2 Provisional Guests:
- Mafia Kajita (freelance writer)
- Tomokazu Sugita (voice actor)
Additionally, other guests are planned to appear during the stream.