1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Paradigm X! This is a community portal where fans can discuss Persona, MegaTen and other Atlus games.
    Join our growing community!

What Anime are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic (Non-Gaming)' started by Alex, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Alex

Alex Moderator Staff Member

As the title says, what are you watching at the moment?

In terms of current shows, I'm just watching Danganronpa at the moment. I was watching the Ace Attorney anime, but that ended up motivating me to replay the games, and then I lost interest in the anime itself.

2. Krahler

Krahler Level 5 The Moon

I've just finnished Bungou Stray Dogs, and now I'm watching Mekaku City Actors. (I've alredy read the novel and manga, the story and characters are just too good)

3. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 8 The Fool

I'm current watching Dragon Ball Super and Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, outside of that nothing else, if the fall season has anything interesting I might watch something else.

4. ReverseStar

ReverseStar Level 6 The Star

I've been following the Diamond is Unbreakable anime so far, but I haven't had the focus to watch anything else lately. I have however started rewatching Soul Eater this week, so here's hoping I can finish it. I'm definetly looking foward to the Ao Oni chibi anime, as bad as it can end up being it'll be hard for me to hate it. Other than that I heard good things of Amanchu, so I should check that out after exams.

5. lebbey

lebbey Level 2 The Magician

Currently rewatching Osomatsu-san, though I just finished it about two weeks ago lol The episodes are just too funny and easy to get lost in. Been meaning to finish Durararax2 Ketsu as well.

6. Zerotagonist

Zerotagonist Administrator Staff Member The World

I've been watching more anime these days than I have in a while.
    • Danganronpa 3: Naturally, as a fan of the series, I would be keeping up with the trilogy's climax. It's been good so far, though I do have some problems with it. Hopefully it all ends on a strong note.
    • Mob Psycho 100: One of the greatest shows I have ever seen, and I didn't expect too much going in. Great animation, great characters, great music and just great everything. Was really cemented as something special in episode 8.
    • Jojo's Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable: Liking this Part more than Part 3. The "Monster of the Week" format didn't bother me as much as it did in Stardust Crusaders, and it's becoming more compelling now that the central villain has become active.
    I was watching the Ace Attorney anime right up until they got to my least favorite case in the series. I didn't drop it because of that, though, but I guess I just fell out of it for whatever reason. I already know what's going to happen next as a fan of the games, and it's not like the anime was handling the scenes in any particularly special way. I'll get back to it, though.

I also wasted my time with Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- and caught up in a couple of days because I had been hearing about it for a bit. Really not a fan of this show, unfortunately. It does some interesting things with its concepts, but not enough for it to make me see past all the melodrama, poor writing and annoying characters.

7. WhensP5Arena

WhensP5Arena Level 2

Yeah I think this is why I dropped AA too. I loved the games but somehow the anime, while cute in its own right, failed to keep me engaged enough to continue watching. Mob Psycho sounds pretty cool though, never heard of it until your post so I might check it out.

Really the only show that I'm casually watching atm is Dragonball Super, but I did just recently find out about a show called 91 Days, the premise sounds interesting enough that I'll be starting it hopefully sometime shortly.

8. ManofVita

ManofVita Level 4 The Hanged Man

Mob Psycho 100. I read the manga and while the art is obviously not as good as how it's depicted in the anime, the story is actually another special gem written by the same person who created One-Punch Man (which is currently being redrawn by Eyeshield 21's artist Yusuke Murata). Frankly, the humour and suspense of the story are just as amazing as the animation in each episode.

Especially this original scene from the first episode that wasn't shown in the manga.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  9. Veronica

Veronica Level 3 The Empress

Danganronpa 3: It's OK, mainly just want to see how the story ends. I'm more interested in the Despair Arc, since the Future Arc is doing a horrible job making me care about the new characters.

Soul Eater: This series is amazing, I'm loving the style and characters.

Krahler likes this.
  10. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 8 The Fool

Started watching an anime that I´ve put on hold mid season, Kizanaiver. Recently fisnished episode 8 (of 12), it´s something interesting coming from Studio Trigger which is mostly know for making bat-shit crazy over the top stuff, the show itself is still over the top in the expresive sense but has a limiter preventing it from going too over the top. As a show about people bonds and coming to terms with their emotion and feelings it´s a solid enough anime. I´m giving it a 8/10 so far.

11. Krahler

Krahler Level 5 The Moon

Erased (or Japanese Boku dake ga inai machi). On first glance a weird mix of Detective Conan and Steins Gate, but it's amazing. I've rarely seen an equally thrilling story, and the characters are awesome. The genres are Seinen, Supernatural, Mystery, and Psychological, and the atmosphere switches between cool, adorable and really, really dark (its main theme is about solving a child murder case). Definitly worth checking out.

12. ReverseStar

I didn't watch past the first episode of Erased's anime for reasons unrelated to it, but I read the manga in one sitting and cried a lot, it's really good. Heavy to process, specially if you can unfortunately relate to some of the stuff going on, but worth it if you can.

As of recently I've started watching Sweetness & Lightning on recomendation of a friend, and it's really nice. Haven't really been watching much besides the customary Diamond is Unbreakable, but next season I'll try to watch more things if possible.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of good anime or manga focused on cooking? I have a fascination for those, but it's hard to come by ones that haven't been dropped by translators. I've tried Shokugeki no Soma, but the, uh, fanservice really puts me off.

13. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 8 The Fool

ReverseStar likes this.
  14. ReverseStar

I've read the last three of those, but I'll check out the rest, thank you very much!

Lulcy likes this.
  15. Lulcy

Lulcy Level 8 The Fool

Before we reach the end of 2017, I'd like to do a rounddown of the animes I've watched this year (or at least that stand out to me)

Shingeki no Kyoujin (season 2) - 9/10
    Roller cooster of excitment and hype, biggest pro being having a more focused narrative, unfortunately I stil don't heavily care about the characters.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generation - 8/10
    Pretty good sequel to Naruto, colorful aesthetics and character design makes for an enjoyable watching experience, most of show right now has been building of a (strong) foundation for I hope would great pay offs, at times the narrative can meander a bit but the (mostly) strong characters can carry the show.

Naruto Shippuden - 9/10
    The last 20 episodes had pleasing visuals and a higher average of good animation than the show normally had before, the last arc makes for a sweet conclusion and send off for the story, definetely cried when the last episode was over.

Boku no Hero Academia (season 2) - 7/10
    Some fastastic bits of animation during the more action heavy or hectic episodes, an entertaining tournament arc, everything after was OK, at first the show was exciting but the latter episodes don't click a lot for me.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko - 10/10
    Cute girls doing cute things in a post apocalyptic world, the show is pretty light heart slice of life with surprisingly amount of substance behind, each episode dealing with some philosophical idea around the girls, their situation and the meaning behind certain world pre-conceptions. Definetely the biggest surprise of this year along with another one...

Houseki no Kuni - 9/10
    Singlehandly the pretties CGI anime I've ever seeing, it's just plain gorgeous, that alone is enough to give an 8/10 but with the presence of some quirky characters its enough to up it an extra point.

Little Witch Academia (TV) - 10/10
    The animation may not be on the same level as its predecesor OVAs, that said there are some highlights in each episode, but it makes up for that by having just A LOT OF CHARM & HEART where it counts, and also making me smille in each episode (even the one I didn't particulary like) and feel a lot of emotions when an episode is over.

Kemono Friends - 8/10
    Plain and silly childish charm, that's all I need to say.

Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen - 7/10
    An enjoyable sequel

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - 9/10
    A charming slice of life featuring a dragon maid with a charming story about what's a family on top of having cute girls, fun comedy and pleasing & colorful aesthetic.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul - 7/10
    Strong first half dragged down by a weak second half but a bunch of endearing characters manages to carry (most of the time) the show at its weakest.

Fate Aprocrypha - 5/10
    Trainwreck of mess with ugly character designs, backgournd design and overall aesthetic, only reason I still care is to see each Servant/Master will be taken down + Jeanne is best girl of the show.

Made in Abyss - 9/10
    Fantastic adventure fantasy with some gorgeous Ghibli like backgrounds, charming characters with a strong narrative about the seeking of knowledge.

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau - 8/10
    Incredible aesthetic and visuals and a intriguing fantasy world, with incredible use of pastel colors. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the characters, they not awaful nor a hell lot interesting, they are just...there.

Mahoutsukai no Yome (TV) - 8/10
    Interesting take on Europen fantasy & myths complement with pleasing visuals (I think this has become a pattern most animes this year) with the only major negative being the pacing, it kinda drags on a bit.

Dragon Ball Super - 8/10
    Ever since the Future Trunks Arc has been surprising me with how fun and memorable the show can be, what I've liking the most over the past 50 or so episodes have been the gags (most of them either spot on or laughtably ridiculous) and secondary characters getting development in the episodes they are heavily featured.
    Overall animation and aesthetic has also improved but I can't comment further than, mainly because I am not an animation expert, but at the very least it has been enjoyable.

Juuni Taisen - 5/10
    Started strong with a silly battle royal premise but ever since episode 2 the show has been on a constant downhill on top of the animation getting rough on spots, only reason I still care enough is to see how the characters will go down (and so far most of them were anti-climatic).

The King of Fighters: Destiny - 6/10
    Yup, there's a CGI anime for the KOF fighting games, it a weird mix of Fatal Fury and KOF 94 stories, the episodes are 10 minutes long with most characters only having their superficial traits, only reason its score is not lower is becuase it has some decent CG animation and fights.

I think there was more....my memory is at times bad...