Celebrating the 60th anniversary of Sega as a company and the 30th anniversary of the Game Gear handheld console, Sega has announced the “Game Gear Micro” for release on October 6, 2020 in Japan.
The “Game Gear Micro” represents a size reduction of about 40% compared to the original handheld, with 80 mm in width, 43 mm in height, and 20 mm in depth. The monitor is about 1 inch in size.
The Game Gear Micro will be released in four color variations, each with four different sets of games. If a 4-color set is purchased at one of the available retailers, the customer will get the “Big Window Micro” as a bonus, which enlarges the Game Gear Micro’s LCD display.
In Japan, the handheld will only be sold through three different websites: Amazon Japan, Rakuten Books, and the Sega Store. Pre-orders are currently available through them.
Game Gear Micro Black – Familiar Titles
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Puyo Puyo Tsu
- Out Run
- Royal Stone
Game Gear Micro Blue – Action Set
- Sonic & Tails
- Gunstar Heroes
- Sylvan Tale
- Baku Baku Animal: Sekai Shiikugakari Senshuken
Game Gear Micro Yellow – Shining Force Set
- Shining Force
- Shining Force II
- Shining Force: Final Conflict
- Nazo Puyo: Arle no Roux
Game Gear Micro Red – Megami Tensei Gaiden Set
- Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible
- Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special
- The G.G. Shinobi
A commercial for the Game Gear Micro has been released, featuring narration by Yumiko Takahashi who also appeared in the commercial for the original Game Gear.
- Product Name: Game Gear Micro Black / Blue / Yellow / Red
- Release Date: October 6, 2020 (Japan)
- Price: 4,980 yen (excluding tax)
- Body Size: 80 mm width x 43 mm height x 20 mm depth
- Screen Size: 1.15 inches
- Sound: Built-in mono speaker and a headphone jack (stereo output)
- Bundled Items: 1 unit, instruction manual/warranty
- Sale By: Sega
- Official Website