Following the tease for the “New School RPG” developed in part by former Shin Megami Tensei staff members called Monark, as well as the leaked release date of October 14, 2021, new details from the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine have been leaked by ryokutya2089.
Monark will be released for the PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch.
- Planning, Production, and Direction: Fuyuki Hayashi, Mitsuhiro Hoshino
- Scenario: Fuyuki Hayashi, Ryotaro Ito
- Scenario Supervision and Cooperation: Kazunari Suzuki, Aya Nishitani
- Character Design: so-bin
- Background Music: Tsukasa Masuko
- Developer: Lancarse
- Publisher: FuRyu
The former Atlus staff members are responsible for the scenario as well as the background music.
Among the previously released voice cast:
- Protagonist: Gakuto Kajiwara
- Stuffed Rabbit: Shigeru Chiba
The “True Student Council” is a group established to resolve abnormal situations at school, The protagonist becomes its vice president, and chooses a partner among four characters to fight against the unreasonable.
The main story has multiple endings, with different branches for each of the four possible buddies. It’s also possible to skip common routes and advance other buddy routes to make subsequent playthroughs easier.
The combat system is a free movement, turn-based battle system. Players can increase their “insanity level” in order to access powerful techniques, but if they increase it too much, they will go insane, lose control, and fight against both friend and foe.
EGO represents the player’s values relating to desire: pride, wrath, envy, lust, gluttony, and sloth. The EGO changes depending on the choices the player makes, and it also affects the demons that can be used as the player’s “underlings.”
The appearance of these demons, as well as their voice, can be customized.
Comments from the development team, translated via Gematsu:
- Hayashi and Hoshino: “We got excited talking about Shin Megami Tensei IF, and how nowadays there are no games like it, so we constructed the prototype for Monark with consideration for the world view and atmosphere we thought important to preserve in a school RPG project.”
- Haysashi: “I can’t thank [the creators who joined the project sensing mine and Hoashino’s enthusiasm] enough. The chemistry with the other creators was there and we were able to develop the game with the idea team.”
- Suzuki: “While I’m participating in the project as a supervisor, I hve been able to give detailed advice to Hayashi and Ito, who are writing the scenario.”
- Ito: “I worked on the stories for 100 students.”
- Masuko: “I worked on about 40 songs.”
The first preview trailer for Monark will be released later today, via the teaser website.