New Etrian Odyssey Game for 3DS to be Announced in Spring 2018, Not EO 3 Untold [Update]
Update (2017-12-16): Additional details have been added to the bottom of this post via a 4Gamer article.
A live talk show event for the 10th anniversary of the Etrian Odyssey series took place in Japan yesterday and, as it ended, series director Shigeo Komori spoke of the next game in the franchise.
Komori announced that the next Etrian Odyssey game is planned to be announced in Spring 2018. He also shared the following details:
- The game will be for the Nintendo 3DS.
- The game will not be Etrian Odyssey 3 [Untold]
- It will be a “true culmination” of the series.
- It will have a lot of map drawing. (“So much mapping, players will dislike it.”)
- It will have surprising content.
- The game will not be a numbered title nor a new series, as a festival-like project representing a culmination of the series thus far. It will be the last Etrian Odyssey game on the 3DS.
- Series character designer Yuji Himukai, monster designer Masao Nagashima, sound composer Yuzo Koshiro and other familiar people from the Etrian Odyssey series are in charge of this game’s development.
- Komori stated that he wanted to emphasize elements of the new game based on a criticism from Etrian Odyssey V that the quantity of events in the second half of the game was decreased.
- The number of staff members involved with the game’s scenario has been increased to strengthen weak areas, along with cooperation from scenario writer Yo Hazuki (Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Devil Survivor Overclocked, etc.).
- Himukai is glad he had the opportunity to participate in this kind of project, saying that it’s like a “bonus stage,” and that the character illustrations he is working on have a different approach and concept than that of the traditional series.
In a September 2017 interview, Komori had teased a new Etrian Odyssey game in development that would be “festival-like,” and that it would also be the last in the series to make use of the bottom screen on the Nintendo 3DS.