Persona 5 Famitsu Scans Feature Battle Gameplay, New Phantom Thief Art
The feature revolves around the game’s combat mechanics, which were previously detailed in the furage leak:
- The action of the game takes place in an alternate world called the Palace. This is a place where it is possible to reform rotten adults by stealing their “treasure” in its depths.
- A variety of actions can be taken, such as using the circle button to hide from enemy “shadows” who act as sentinels in the Palace.
- An ability by the name of “Third Eye” can be triggered in suspicious locations to solve puzzles or find items that are key in the other world.
- It is possible to attack enemies by surprise if they are approached without noticing you.
- By pressing the R1 button in combat, a battle assist mode is activated, which will automatically attack enemy weak points.
- New elements have been added to the game’s combat such as “nuclear heat” and “telekinetic.”
- Specific skills used when an enemy is afflicted by a negative status effect will deal a significant amount of damage.
- Nuclear heat is effective against enemies on fire, frozen or shocked by electricity. Telekinetic is effective against enemies with a negative mental status effect.
- Conversations can be initiated with enemies in combat in a “Hold Up” state, which happens when the conditions for an All-Out Attack are met.
- Shadows in “Hold Up” can be told to lend their strength in the form of becoming a persona for the player to use.
- Enemies in “Hold Up” can also be requested to give money and items through the conversation mechanic.
This issue of Famitsu also had an anniversary illustration for Famitsu’s 30th by Shigenori Soejima, featuring Morgana from Persona 5 and Fantasy Zone’s Opa-Opa.
toi8 (character designer of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE) submitted his own illustration of Nekomata from the Shin Megami Tensei series.
Etrian Odyssey series artist Yuji Himukai provided his own illustration featuring Shining in the Darkness and LandStalker.
Devil Survivor also made his own illustration for the Famitsu anniversary featuring Devil Survivor 2, Caladrius and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth.
The previous Famitsu feature for Persona 5 was in issue #1432, released on May 12, 2016.
Persona 5 is slated to be released for the PS3 and PS4 in Japan on September 15, 2016, with a February 14, 2017 North American release date.