The annual PlayStation Awards 2019 ceremony took place earlier today by Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia (SIEJA) and, alongside the event, Atlus has given an update on the latest Persona series sales numbers.
Persona 5 Sales
Persona 5, originally released for the PS3 and PS4 in September 2019, has now reached over 3.2 million shipments (including digital copies sold) worldwide.
The latest number until now had been 2.7 million copies of Persona 5 shipped worldwide as of April 2019. This means the game has shipped an additional 500k copies within the past 7 months.
In Weekly Famitsu magazine #1583 in April 2019, Sega CEO and Chairman Hajime Satomi had confirmed that the game had sold more than 1 million copies across America and Europe, after its Western release in April 2017.
To celebrate those sales, Persona character designer Shigenori Soejima has made a special illustration.
Persona 5 Royal Sales
Persona 5 Royal was released for the PS4 at the end of October 2019, and it has now reached over 400,000 copies shipped (including digital copies sold) in Japan within its first month.
According to the Famitsu sales tracker, sell-through during the first week of Persona 5 Royal‘s launch in Japan was 201,448 copies with an 80% sell-through rate. As a result, the game’s initial shipment was approximately 250k copies.
Persona Series Sales
Since the release of Revelations: Persona in 1996, the Persona series has achieved over 11.1 million units shipped (including digital sales) worldwide.
As of October 17, 2019, prior to the release of Persona 5 Royal, the latest number until now had been 10.2 million units sold worldwide for the Persona series via Sega Sammy’s integrated report 2019.
Persona 5 Awards
This year’s PlayStation Awards 2019 had a special “PlayStation 25th Anniversary Users’ Choice Award.” Only seven games, chosen by user votes, would win this category, and those eligible were games that had received a “Users’ Choice Award” over the past 24 award ceremonies.
Persona 5 was one of the seven winners for the PlayStation 25th Anniversary Users’ Choice Award. This makes Persona 5 a winner for an award at PlayStation Award for the fourth consecutive year.
The full list:
- The Last of Us Remastered (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Persona 5 (Atlus)
- NieR: Automata (Square Enix)
- Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square Enix)
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Capcom)
- God of War (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
List of Persona 5 Awards
Atlus has made a list of major game awards received for Persona 5 thus far:
- Japan Game Awards 2015: Future Category
- PlayStation Awards 2016: Gold Prize / User’s Choice Award *Double Award
- VFX-JAPAN Award 2017: Video Game Division Excellence Award
- IGN JAPAN Game of the Year 2016: 1st place
- Dengeki Online Award 2016: Best console title 1st place
- Dengeki PlayStation Award 2016: First year title section 1st place
- Famitsu Award 2016: Excellence Award
- CEDEC AWARDS 2017: Game Design Division Excellence Award
- Famitsu Game General Election: All genre No. 1 / RPG Division No. 1 *Double Award
- Japan Game Awards 2017: Excellence Award
- PlayStation Awards 2017: User’s Choice Award
- The Game Awards 2017: Game of the Year 4 nominations
- The Game Awards 2017: Best Role-Playing Game
- CEDEC AWARDS 2018: Sound Category Grand Prize
- PlayStation Awards 2018: Platinum Prize
Tangentially, the UI designer for Persona 5, Masayoshi Sutoh, received the Visual Arts Award at CEDEC AWARDS 2019, partly for his work on the game.
An archive of the PlayStation Awards 2019 can be seen below: