During today’s Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers information live stream, new gameplay footage and details were revealed for the upcoming action RPG developed in collaboration between Atlus and Koei Tecmo’s Omega Force.
The director of the game from Koei Tecmo, Nobumichi Kumabe, played the game live. The game was played on Easy mode, which the developers suggest for those who mainly want to enjoy the story.
- Development progress for the game is at around 90%. It is now in an important refinement process.
- There are a lot of Persona series enthusiasts at Omega Force, enhancing the game’s fidelity.
- Some of the character models have been taken from Persona 5, while others are brand new.
- The Phantom Thieves reunite to partake in summer vacation, when their break is interrupted by a certain incident and Palaces making a return.
- A lot of focus has been put into the game’s story, in addition to the action gameplay.
- The characters’ growth since Persona 5 is a focus, with Persona 5 Scramble taking place 6 months after the end of the original game.
- Makoto Niijima and Haru Okumura are university students.
- Confidants or other characters from Persona 5 appearing is still a secret.
New Character: Sophia (Voiced by Misaki Kuno)
- The new female character is called Sophia. Her origin is unknown, and she wants to befriend humans.
- Sophia is a new Phantom Thief, with the code name “Sophie.” She battles by dual wielding yo-yos and using something called “Pithos” that is used as a persona.
- Atlus producer Daisuke Kaneda states that Sophia serves a similar role as Jose in Persona 5 Royal.
New Character: Hasegawa Zenkichi (Voiced by Shinichiro Miki)
- Hasegawa Zenkichi is a detective (or more specifically, a public safety police officer) chasing after the Phantom Thieves.
- Tactics from Persona are strategically integrated in the action.
- Players won’t be able to blindly mash their way through combat; they will need to properly make use of skills and personas.
- Different combos can be used with different combinations of the square and triangle buttons.
- The game has shooting, with different firearms for the characters. Time will stop when you take aim.
- In certain battles, you are able to escape the encounter.
- You can switch which character you are controlling instantly, with the use of the “Baton Touch” system.
Gameplay (Persona Combat)
- When a persona is summoned, decide on a skill to use by navigating up and down. Additionally, the main character can switch personas by navigating left and right.
- When a persona is summoned, time will stop. Analysis will display an enemy’s information, so you are able to carefully assess the situation and select a skill accordingly.
- Persona’s can be summoned even in the air.
- A persona’s attack range varies by skill.
- Efficiently using one’s SP is important. Using skills to weaken and defeat a large number of enemies at once is the goal.
- Buffs and debuffs are represented.
- Weakening enemies will allow for “Technicals,” causing great damage.
- There are special “SHOWTIME” moves unique to different personas.
- If you break the shield gauge next to an enemy’s HP, you can launch an All-Out Attack.
- “Phantom Move” is a mechanic where you are able to quickly traverse using background objects such as traffic and street lights, and also use them to attack enemies.
- Personas can be befriended, and fusion will also be present.
Persona 5 Sound Set DLC
The “Persona 5 Sound Set” will be distributed as downloadable content to owners of Persona 5 Scramble with save data from previous games, depending on their platform. The sound set will consist of the battle songs “Last Surprise” and “Take Over.” For the PS4, the set will require save data of Persona 5 or Persona 5 Royal. On the Nintendo Switch, it will require save data of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
As announced previously, Weekly Famitsu magazine #1614 (November 21, 2019 issue) releasing on November 7, 2019 will include a feature on Persona 5 Scramble with the latest information.
Live Stream Archive: The full archive of the Persona 5 Scramble live stream can be seen below, which also features additional gameplay and story footage.
Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers will be released for the PS4 and Nintendo Switch on February 20, 2020 in Japan.