With the start of March, this month will deliver the reveal of “P5R.” Announced at the end of last year through a video showing the PlayStation logo and teasing “New Projects,” speculation for what this could be has been running rampant.
Atlus has been completely silent on the project since its tease, only setting it for a March 2019 reveal with its own official website. Its reveal will presumably take place on the same day as the “Stars and Ours” Persona 5 the Animation special on March 23rd.
So the question is, what do you think P5R will be? What do you want it to be? Is “P5R” a single project or multiple games? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think!
Overview of the Details
Speculation around “P5R” has been taking place since its domain was registered in April 2017. Following the format of an enhanced edition of Persona games in the vein of Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 Golden, many believe that P5R will be the same for Persona 5. The “R” could then stand for something like “Rebellion,” “Ruby,” or “Redemption.”
Notable fighting game community member, Evo business director, and Tekken/Soulcalibur brand advisor Mark Julio teased what P5R could consist of last December. On Twitter, he stated: “It’s a good time to be a fighting game fan. The year isn’t over yet. Expect the unexpected,” on December 7th What he was referring to seemingly did not come to pass, but he made a nod towards the P5R announcement on December 30th, presumably related to his earlier statement.
For their recent Persona games, Atlus has generally revealed them during large concerts. They have announced “Persona Super Live: P-Sound Street 2019: Welcome to No. Q Theater” which will take place on April 24-25, 2019, one month after this P5R reveal.
- April 20, 2017: “P5R.JP” is registered as an official domain name by Atlus on April 11th. Other Persona related domains were registered during that month, including P5D, P3D, and PQ2 which were announced later that year.
- December 15, 2018: A 5channel rumor surfaces on December 10, stating that P5R will be a “complete version” of Persona 5 and will be released in 2019. This rumor was notable because it stated that a Granblue Fantasy fighting game was in development shortly before it was announced on December 15.
- December 25, 2018: The P5R domain is updated to Atlus name servers, indicating an impending announcement.
- December 26, 2018: “PERSONA5R.JP” is registered as an official domain name.
- December 30, 2018: “P5R” is officially teased after the end of the Persona 5 the Animation 1-hour broadcast called “Dark Sun…”
What I Think
I think that “P5R” will indeed be the commonly speculated enhanced version of Persona 5, and that it will be released for the PS4 in 2019. I would like to see improvements to make Mementos feel less repetitive, and additional scenes with the main characters in casual conversation.
I believe other projects will be teased during this month’s P5R announcement, and that they will be further revealed during the concert next month.